While I was recently looking for an easy, flexible and free way to create a website for a non-profit I realized that with the latest versions of Office online, in particular OneNote web app, I had something that was a great potential tool!
OneNote webapp is the online version of OneNote and the file is hosted on your or your group’s skydrive.
In a nutshell:
- You can create sections, pages, subpages on OneNote directly on the web
- It’s super easy, flexible and quite advanced from an editing perspective
- If you have the client you can work offline on your PC and just has it automatically synchronized with the online version
- You have up to 25GB of storage for your site
- Using the liveID authorization mechanisms you can decide:
- Who will be able or see the content (typically for a website, everyone)
- Who will be able to modify it (from one person to a full group, for instance for a wiki that only allows team members –non-profit board, user group, friends…- to edit the content
- Only caveats:
- The tabs that remain on the left could be a bit odd looking compared with a regular website
- Page load can be a bit slow some times, though OK for most usages I would say.