This great (and short!) 2005 TED talk from John St. John about what many successful people told him over 7 years of research and 500 interviews.
Nothing earth-shattering per-se but a great summary in less than 4 minutes.
In short here are his 8 points:
- Have passion for what you do: Do it for love of it not of money
- Work hard, but on something you like doing and have fun doing
- Good: become really good at things through practice, practice, practice.
- Focus on the one or few things that you can really move
- Push: push yourself. Physically and mentally.
- Serve something of value to others
- Ideas : be creative, listen, observe, be curious, ask questions, make connections…
- Persist: never give up, even through failure or naysayers.
ps: Once you’re there, you might want to watch his 2009 follow-up TED talk on how to remain successful (tip: don’t fall asleep at the top!)